This course includes an introduction to the principles involved in the control of plant pests including diseases, insects, mites, nematodes, and weeds. Various methods of controlling pests, including the correct method of selecting and applying pesticides will be covered. Integrated pest management will be incorporated into the course.
- Describe biological and ecological adaptations of weed species and the implications for control.
- Identify common agricultural weed pests, and categorize weeds into monocots, dicots, and sedges.
- Identify common agricultural insects and mites, including natural enemies and beneficials.
- Identify common agricultural diseases, including bacterials, fungal, viral, and nematodes.
- Discuss appropriate control measures for pest management.