This course is a general introduction to the visual arts including media, techniques, and history. It is designed to offer an in-depth appreciation of the creative processes involved in the visual arts. This course reviews two- and three-dimensional art forms, methods and media; examines the visual elements and principles of design; and surveys art styles from the prehistoric to the 20th Century. It is oriented to students who have not been exposed to the formal study of these disciplines.
- Demonstrate knowledge of visual media, techniques, and processes.
- Apply formal and personal criteria for viewing and assessing art.
- Evaluate a range of visual art subject matter, symbols, and concepts in relation to history and cultures.
- Describe how ideas can be communicated through visual media, techniques, and processes.
- Make connections between visual arts and other disciplines.