This course is a comprehensive introduction to the art of wheel throwing. Students will experience the creating of vessels through the use of the ceramic wheel. Beginning with the simple cylinder, students will learn to expand their skills while creating various forms with the round bottle as a final target of accomplishment. Kiln operations and glaze creation also will be introduced.
"C" or higher in ART 105.
- Clearly show by example the differences between functional and non-functional forms.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the various wheel throwing techniques and forms created with the use of the wheel and draw on hand-building techniques learned in ART 105 to complete wheel projects.
- Demonstrate an understanding of different clays and their properties and create forms on the wheel displaying the differences.
- Create art pieces that communicate statements or beliefs.
- Exhibit the fine points that make for better finished forms.
- Use alternative glazing methods important in displaying how colors influence the viewer's emotions and thoughts.
- Use ceramic and art vocabulary when discussing and critiquing.