The Carpentry Technology program provides the basic entry-level skills in the construction of buildings. Skilled carpenters are required in areas of new building construction, repair, and alteration of buildings. The program provides an introduction into the sustainable and green construction methods and materials, while offering instruction in the State of Hawai’i’s building codes for energy efficiency. This program also enhances the graduates entry into the carpenters apprenticeship program.
Program Admission Requirements:
(1) Qualified for ENG 106 and either qualified for MATH 100 or concurrent enrollment in MATH 75X or higher; or (2) approval of instructor.
Program Student Learning Outcomes (PSLOs) approved 02/15/2022:
- Read and understand blueprints sufficiently to use them to plan a project.
- Select materials properly for a given project that comply with published codes and deliver energy efficient outcomes.
- Maintain and care for the tools required in the electrical industry.
- Utilize Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and State safety regulations to minimize risk and protect self and others.
- Communicate successfully orally and in writing using computer technology.
- Demonstrate the craftsmanship standards of dependability, punctuality, and quality.