Pursuant to Section 99.6 of the rules and regulations governing the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 (hereinafter the Act), students in attendance at the University of Hawai‘i, Kaua‘i Community College are hereby notified of the following:
- It is the policy of Kaua‘i Community College to subscribe to the requirements of Section 438of the General Education Provision Act, Title IV, of Public Law 90-247, as amended, and to the rules and regulations governing the Act, which protect the privacy rights of students.
- The rights of students under the Act include the following, subject to conditions and limitations specified in the Act:
- The right to inspect and review education records within 45 days after a request for access is received.
- The right to request the amendment of education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.
- The right to provide written consent before the school discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
- The right to file complaints concerning alleged failure by Kaua‘i Community College to comply with the Act.
- Students are advised that institutional policy and procedures required under the Act have been published as Administrative Procedure A7.022, Procedures Relating to Protection of the Educational Rights and Privacy of Students. Copies of AP A7.022 may be obtained from the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, Kaua‘i Community College.
- Directory Information: Students are advised that certain personally identifiable information listed below is considered by the College to be Directory Information and, in response to public inquiry, may be disclosed in conformance with State law, at the College’s discretion, without prior consent of the student, unless the student otherwise so informs the College not to disclose such information.
- Major field of study,
- Education level, (i.e. freshman, sophomore, etc.)
- Fact of participation in officially recognized activities and sports,
- Weight and height of members of athletic teams,
- Dates of attendance,
- Previous educational institution attended,
- Degrees and awards received,
- Honors and awards (including Dean’s List)
- Enrollment status (full-time and part-time).
A student has the right to request that any or all of the above items not be designated Directory Information with respect to that student. Should a student wish to exercise this right, he/she must in person and in writing, not earlier than the first day of instruction nor later than fourteen calendar days from the first day of instruction for the academic term or semester, or the fourth day of a summer session, inform the Admissions and Records Office which of the above items are not to be disclosed without prior consent of that student.
NOTE: Submission of this FERPA confidentiality request form does not automatically remove you from the UH online directory. To remove yourself from the UH online directory, please do so via your MyUH account. From your MyUH account, go to the "My Profile" tab, UH Online Directory, Options for Students.
- A parent, partner, or spouse of a student is advised that information contained in educational records, except as may be determined to be Directory Information, will not be disclosed to him/her without prior written consent of the son, daughter, spouse, or partner.