Factors Which May Affect Your Credits

Audit - Students may seek to audit a course because they want to review a subject or to learn without the pressure of having to fully participate in the class.

If you want to audit a course, you must first obtain written permission from the instructor using the “Permission to Audit a Course” form. The form is available at the Admissions and Records Office.

The extent of the classroom participation is at the option of the instructor. No credit is given for an audited course and an “L” will be posted on the grade report to indicate the audit. Students must complete all regular admission and registration procedures in order to audit a course and regular tuition/fees must be paid

Audit carries no credit and does not contribute towards full-time student status (required for Veterans' benefits and Financial Aid).

Credit by Institutional Examination - Credit by Institutional Examination is available in a few courses at the College.  Students will not receive letter grades for credits granted, but will receive the grade designation of "CE," which indicates that the equivalent of a grade of "C" or higher was achieved on the examination. 

Credit by Institutional Examination carries no credit and does not contribute towards full-time student status
(required for Veterans' benefits and Financial Aid.)

Credit/No Credit Option - The major purpose of the credit/no credit option is to encourage students to broaden their education by venturing into subject areas outside their fields of specialization without risking a relatively low grade.

Under the option, a student will be granted a “CR” grade (credit) which indicates that a grade of “C” or higher was achieved, or an “NC” grade (no credit).

If you intend to transfer to a 4-year institution, you should check that school’s catalog to find out whether it accepts “CR” grades.

Credit/No Credit Option at the UH Mānoa Campus- The Credit/No Credit (C/NC) option at the UH Mānoa is limited to elective courses. The CR/NC option is not allowed for any course taken to fulfill a University or College core requirement nor a Department requirement, with the exception of those courses designated Credit/No Credit only. Students planning to transfer to Mānoa should follow this Mānoa policy when taking courses at KCC.

Repeating Courses - If you received a grade of “B” or lower, you may repeat the course and receive the higher grade and grade points. Credit is allowed only one time. You do not need instructor approval to repeat the course on your second attempt. Please refer to KCCP 4-07 (Grade Replacement for Repeated Courses) for additional information. 

Transfer Credits from Another Institution - A student transferring from a regionally-accredited college or university may be allowed credit for previous academic work. It is the student’s responsibility to have official transcripts of previous work sent to the KCC Admissions and Records Office by the institutions previously attended. To apply for evaluation of transcripts, the student must provide course description information from the catalogs of the previous colleges attended, along with syllabi. A Transcript Evaluation Request Form is available at the Admissions and Records Office. Official transcripts become the property of the College and will not be forwarded to any institution outside of the University of Hawai‘i System or individual or copied for students.

Variable Credit - Some courses are offered with variable credit. After the title of a course in the course description section, there will be a credit range, (1-3 is a common listing). Credit is given for course work completed and may not exceed the credits for which you are registered.

KCC students