This course will introduce students to the skills of Polynesian navigation and seamanship through the exploration and experiences of the voyages of contemporary Polynesian voyaging canoes. In addition, students will have opportunities to learn and practice some of these skills on a double-hulled sailing canoe.
Qualified for ENG 100.
Ability to swim.
- Apply basic sailing and navigational skills to prepare and carry out a sail plan.
- Discuss the settlement of Polynesia utilizing the voyaging traditions found in Polynesia.
- Identify the four starlines utilized in contemporary non instrument navigation.
- Explain the value of clouds as a determining factor of weather.
- Explain and apply the physics of sailing, as related to Bernoulli's principle and Newtonian physics.
- Complete a basic water safety and swim test.
- Demonstrate proper maintenance and upkeep of a vessel and equipment.