This program prepares entry-level nurse aides to provide care to the elderly, ill, and disabled. The program prepares nurse aides for employment under the supervision of a licensed practical nurse, registered nurse, or physician in skilled nursing, long term, assisted living, clinics, hospitals, and home settings. After successful completion, students are eligible to take the State of Hawai'i Nurse Aide certification exam.
Program Admission Requirements:
Basic Life Support CPR certification.
Program Student Learning Outcomes (PSLOs) approved 02/06/2013:
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of the nurse aide as a member of the health care team.
- Provide safe, basic, culturally relevant nurse aide care to clients in various health settings.
- Demonstrate effective basic nursing skills, appropriate to the nurse aide role.
- Communicate effectively in both oral and written format with clients, families, and other members of the health care team.
- Describe and adhere to ethical and legal principles that guide nurse aide care.
- Identify emotional and physical needs of clients and optimal ways to meet them.
- Identify and demonstrate appropriate professional conduct in various healthcare settings.
- Describe and demonstrate basic problem-solving skills appropriate to nurse aide practice.
- Demonstrate effective use of equipment to provide safe nurse aide care.
- Apply knowledge and skills learned to resident care in clinical settings.
Federal Program Licensure Reporting Requirements:
The Kaua‘i Community College Nurse's Aide Program Certification curriculum is approved by the Hawai‘i State Director of the Department of Human Services and meets Hawai‘i Administrative Rules 16-89A-3 (https://cca.hawaii.gov/pvl/files/2013/08/har_89a-c2.pdf). If you are not residing in the state of Hawai‘i and are taking a Kaua‘i Community College online course or program leading to certification or licensure, Kaua‘i Community College cannot confirm whether the course or program meets your state’s certification or licensure requirements. Please verify with the appropriate certification or licensure board in the state you intend to practice.
Degrees and Certificates
Nurse Aide: Certificate of Competence