This course prepares entry level nurse aides to provide care to the elderly, ill, and disabled. Course activities will take place in the clinical lab and in off-site clinical environments. Topics include personal care, infection control, communication, resident rights, emotional support and care of special populations. After successful completion of NURS 100 and NURS 100L, students are eligible to take the State of Hawai‘i Nurse Aide certification exam.
Basic life support CPR, malpractice insurance, health clearances, and criminal background check.
- Apply ethical and legal principles into nurse aide care.
- Demonstrate nurse aide interventions to meet the emotional and physical requirements of special populations.
- Demonstrate professional conduct in the health care setting.
- Demonstrate therapeutic communication skills with clients, families, and other members of the health care team.
- Apply health care infection control and safety procedures into nurse aide care.
- Demonstrate effective nurse aide care to support and maintain patient function and health.