The focus will be on nursing responsibility with regard to current issues in nursing and health care. Included will be the nurse's role as a contributing member of the profession and the community. The theoretical basis for designing and implementing systems of nursing at the beginning level of patient management in an institutional setting will be examined. Principles of organizational structure, leadership, decision-making, priority setting, and change will be discussed.
“C” or higher in NURS 320.
- Identify the legal and ethical responsibilities of the Registered/Professional Nurse.
- Discuss your reflection on the concept of self as a professional in relation to entry into the practice of nursing.
- Utilize research as the legitimate source of evidence for professional decision-making.
- Discuss the leadership responsibility of the nurse in the political process as it impacts on health policy and health care planning.
- Differentiate between the concepts of leadership and management.
- Analyze the impact of trends in contemporary health care which influence quality and means of delivering nursing care.
- Apply the problem-solving process in resolution of conflicts and stressors encountered in transition to the role of Registered/Professional Nurse.
- Discuss the structure and interrelationships of the social organizations through which nursing is provided.
- Discuss concepts of decision-making and priority setting in providing safe nursing care.