The Certificate of Competence in Public Health will provide students interested in Public Health initiatives, careers, or transfer to the University of Hawai‘i (UH) at Mānoa with an introduction to Public Health studies. The Certificate of Competence courses are the core framework for a Bachelor of Arts in Public Health at the UH Mānoa Office of Public Health Studies. The PH courses will fulfill part of the Elective requirement for the Associate in Arts (AA) in Liberal Arts at Kaua‘i Community College should students wish to pursue this AA degree.
Program Student Learning Outcomes (PSLOs) approved 09/30/2019:
- Review the history and philosophy of public health.
- Identify and explain the core functions of public health.
- Describe the major human diseases and their underlying etiologies.
- Articulate the impact of public health policies on vulnerable populations, including indigenous people.
- Distinguish the fundamental characteristics and organizational structures of the U.S. health system, as well the differences in systems abroad.
- Use information literacy skills such as locating and evaluating pertinent public health information.
- Demonstrate effective written and public speaking communication skills.