Satisfactory Academic Progress

As a condition of receiving financial aid at Kaua‘i Community College students must demonstrate and maintain satisfactory academic progress towards the achievement of an associate degree or certificate. Satisfactory academic progress means having a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher and completing at least 67% of your attempted credits.

Follow these steps to lookup your Financial Aid academic status in your MyUH portal:
• Log into your My UH Portal at
• Click "View My Financial Aid Information"
• Click "Academic Progress"
• Select Kaua‘i Community College and the appropriate school year and click "Submit"
• Click Academic Progress tab to view your status

A student must maintain satisfactory academic progress by completing at least 67% of the cumulative credits attempted.  The following grades will be considered as credits attempted but not completed: F, NC, N, W, I.  An "I" will be calculated as no credit. If the grade should change to an A, B, C, or D the student’s financial aid eligibility will be re-evaluated during the next official SAP evaluation period. Repeated courses are included in total attempted hours.  Dropped classes after the official census date (3rd week of the semester) will be counted in total attempted hours.  Credit by Exam and Audited courses will not count in a student’s total enrollment for financial aid purposes.

A student must also maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 cumulatively. The grade point average (GPA) is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of credits attempted.  Courses for which grades of "W", "L", "CE", "CR", "NC", "NCE", were recorded are not included in computing the GPA.

Grade points are assigned as follows:
A   4   points per credit
B   3   points per credit
C   2   points per credit
D   1   point per credit
F    0  point per credit

In addition to completing a certain percentage of their coursework, students must also be progressing through their educational program within a set time frame. A student’s maximum time frame is determined by the number of credits required for completion of their degree, multiplied by 150 percent.  Generally, credits for remedial courses will not count in a student’s 150% time frame but will count in the GPA and 67% completion calculations.

Transfer credits that have been evaluated and accepted will be counted as both attempted and completed credits. It is the student’s responsibility to meet with an academic counselor to determine the number of transfer credits that are not applicable to their program of study at Kaua‘i Community College. 

Students may choose to change their major. However, in the event that a student changes majors prior to completing the program, all credits previously attempted at the college and accepted transfer credits will be counted in their new major and resulting maximum time frame.

Credit/No Credit Option:

Under the option, a student will be granted a “CR” grade (credit)
which indicates that a grade of “C” or higher was achieved, or an “NC” grade (no credit).
A "CR" will be counted as attempted and completed. A "NC" grade will be counted as attempted but not completed. 

Repeated Courses:

For institutional purposes, the student's grade point average will be calculated using only the highest grade earned among all attempts when a course is repeated. 

Grade point averages for financial aid purposes (satisfactory academic progress) will be calculated using the grades from ALL course attempts, not just the highest course grade received.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeals:

A student who is not maintaining satisfactory academic progress and has a status of Financial Aid Suspension may appeal their status by completing the appeals process. Appeals should only be submitted for situations that are exceptional, generally beyond the student's control, and non-recurring in nature. Appeals should explain why the student failed to make satisfactory academic progress and what has changed in the situation that will allow the student to demonstrate progress at the next evaluation.

It is suggested that students meet with both their Financial Aid Counselor to review their appeal application, and their Academic Advising Counselor to review their academic plan. Acceptance of their academic plan is required.  Contact 808.245.8212 to make appointments with both counselors. Follow-up academic counseling appointments may be required as a condition of the appeal.

Once a campus determines a student is not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress, the appeal form is loaded to their MyUH portal as an outstanding requirement. All appeals must be made in writing, with supporting documentation when required.  The appeal form, along with any supporting documentation can be submitted online through the student’s MyUH portal, or in person at:

Financial Aid Office
3-1901 Kaumauali‘i Highway
Līhu‘e, HI 96766-9500

The Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal form can be found at

Every semester there is a deadline to submit appeals. Any appeals turned in after that deadline will only be considered for a future semester. Please see the Financial Aid Office for the deadline date.

A student on financial aid suspension who successfully appeals the suspension will be in a financial aid probation status.  During the probationary period, students are eligible to receive financial aid.  At the end of the probationary semester, a student must either:

  • be making satisfactory academic progress; or
  • be meeting the conditions of their academic plan

If the student is not making satisfactory academic progress but is successfully following the established academic plan, the student would continue to be eligible for aid in subsequent semesters provided that the student continues to meet the established academic plan.  A student on financial aid probation that is neither making satisfactory academic progress nor successfully following their established academic plan at the end of the probationary semester will be placed on financial aid suspension for future semesters. Additional appeals during subsequent semesters may be allowed, however only for extremely extenuating circumstances will the subsequent appeals be approved.

KCC students












KCC students