This course analyzes human communication behaviors as well as verbal and nonverbal coding as it has been used and is currently used throughout the world. Students will examine how influences such as economics, science, politics, ecological concerns, social and family structures, and individual personalities affect communication transactions. Students will practice cross-cultural communication skills.
Qualified for ENG 100S or “C” or higher in SP 151.
- Describe a cultural tradition from Hawaiian, Pacific, or Asian society.
- Demonstrate communication skills related to intercultural competence.
- Describe your own cultural communication behaviors.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the elements of intercultural communication.
- Analyze the fundamental ways that cultures throughout the world differ and analyze a variety of culturally based communication behaviors.