What If I Am An International Student?

Kaua‘i Community College is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students. Interested F-1 visa students who are overseas and those who are already in the United States of America, need to submit the following:

  1. University of Hawai‘i System Application.
  2. University of Hawai‘i Supplementary Information Form for Undergraduate International Applicants.
  3. Attach evidence of support in U.S. currency. You must show, personally or through a sponsor, that adequate financial support will be provided during your entire period of enrollment. Submit current bank and/or financial statements in U.S. currency.
  4. High school and college transcripts translated into English by either a school official or a U.S. consular official, mailed directly from the school(s) to our Admissions and Records Office. Transcripts submitted by you will not be accepted.
  5. Kaua‘i Community College Health Clearance Form. Hawai‘i State Law requires all students to meet examination and immunization requirements before they attend any post-secondary school in the state. The Tuberculosis (TB) clearance must be issued by a U.S. licensed MD, DO, APRN, or PA and submitted prior to registration. For more information, please refer to Health Requirements.
  6. $25 non-resident application fee (nonrefundable, nontransferable).
  7. English Proficiency Tests: Tests are required to have been taken within the last two years. Scores must be submitted directly from the testing services. Scores submitted by you will not be accepted.
    • TOEFL - 450 (PB) / 133 (CB) / 45 (iB)
    • IELTS - 5.0
    • Eiken / STEP - Grade 2
    • GTEC CBT 900 / GTEC 946

Exemptions: You are exempt from taking the test if:

  • Your native language is English and you are from Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, or the U.S.
  • You have completed three years of high school education or 30 semester credits of college level work (30 transfer semester credits for the Associate in Arts degree program) from an accredited college or university in the U.S., Australia, Britain, Canada, Ireland, United Kingdom, or New Zealand.
  • You are transferring from an accredited college or university in the U.S., Australia, Britain, Canada, Ireland, United Kingdom, or New Zealand, and you have completed the equivalent of freshman level English with a grade of C or better.
  • You have completed level 5 or qualified for level 6 at Global Village Hawai‘i (http://gvhawaiienglish.com/).
  • You have completed level 4 at Hawai‘i Community College - Intensive English Program

Application Deadline
As an international student, you must submit the University of Hawai‘i System Application and all required admission documents to our Admissions and Records Office by the following deadlines:

Fall semester July 1
Spring semester November 1

Once all documents are received, an admissions decision will be made. If accepted, an acceptance letter and a Form I-20 will be sent to you by email. You will need the Form I-20 to apply for a student VISA (F-1) through the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country.

Program Major Selection and Credit Load
Your selection of a program major is a very important decision and will determine your length of stay in the United States as well as your career goals. As an international student, you will be required to take a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester toward your program.

Before you may register for courses, you must:
Demonstrate proof of enrollment in a health and accident insurance plan before registration. This insurance is mandatory. The intent of this requirement is to protect international students against the high cost of unanticipated health care expenses resulting from accidents or illness. Additional information on student health insurance plans may be obtained from the student resources website, or by contacting the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs at (808) 245-8313.

International applicants must comply with all regulations of the Immigration and Naturalization Service as well as with applicable policies of the UH Board of Regents and the policies of the Kaua‘i Community College. For purposes of clarifying requirements for admission, international students who are not U.S. citizens and who have not been admitted to live in the U.S. permanently are designated as non-immigrants. Kaua‘i Community College is authorized under Federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students.

Contact the Admissions and Records Office at (808) 245-8225 for rules and regulations and admission requirements.

International students